Traditionally Scottish weddings, customary toasts are made to the bride and groom by the bride’s father with compliments and amusing anecdotes. The bridegroom follows it with a “thanks” and is proceeded by the best man.
As a rule of thumb, only four key speakers usually offer toasts at the reception. Here is the traditional order of toasts and speakers:
The first to speak is the bride’s father, the clergyman, or a close friend of the couple. It is customary for this speech to contain compliments about the bride and groom, some words of wisdom on marriage, and amusing anecdotes about the couple. The bridegroom then replies on behalf of himself and his new wife.
Traditional Scottish Wedding Toasts and Blessings
- A thousand welcomes to you with your marriage kerchief. May you be healthy all your days. May you be blessed with long life and peace, and May you grow old with goodness and riches.
- May you both be blessed with the strength of heaven, The light of the sun and the radiance of the moon, The splendor of fire, The speed of lightning, The swiftness of wind, The depth of the sea, The stability of earth, And the firmness of rock.
- If righteousness is in the heart, there will be beauty in character. There will be harmony in the home if there is beauty in character. If there is harmony in the home, the nation will have order. If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world. So let it be!
- May the road rise to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face; The rain pours soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in his hand.
- Ten thousand things bright, Ten thousand miles, no dust, Water and sky one color, Houses shining along your road.
- Happy the bride and bridegroom, and thrice happy are they whose love grows stronger daily and whose union remains undissolved until the last day.
- May your love be like the misty rain, gentle coming in but flooding the river. May your love be as endless as your wedding rings.
toasts for weddings
- May their joys be as deep as the ocean And their misfortunes as light as the foam.
- May your joys be as sweet as spring flowers that grow. As bright as a fire when winter winds blow, As countless as leaves that float down in the fall, As serene as the love that keeps watching over us all.
- May you be poor in misfortune, Rich in blessings, Slow to make enemies, Quick to make friends, But rich or poor, quick or slow, May you know nothing but Happiness from this day forward.
- May joy and peace surround you, Contentment latches your door, And happiness is with you now, and bless you evermore.
- May the best you’ve ever seen be the worst you’ll ever see. May a mouse never leave your kitchen with a teardrop in his eye. May you always be hearty until you’re old enough to die. May you always be just as happy as we wish you always to be.
- The drink should be downed in one, and the glass smashed. Here’s us; Who’s like us? Damn few, And they a’ die!
- Here’s to the bride and the groom! May you have a happy honeymoon, May you lead a happy life, May you have a bunch of money soon, And live without all strife.
- Here is to the husband and here is to the wife; May they remain Lovers for life.”
- Let us toast the health of the bride; Let us toast the health of the groom; Let us toast the person that tied; Let us toast every guest in the room.
- They say that birds of a feather flock together. Well, the two of you are the most graceful, odd, beautifully singing birds I’ve ever met… and I can’t wait to see you fly.
- To the couple –I have never met a perfect couple, and I doubt I ever will. You bring out the best in each other… although that is pretty easy to do.
- Of course, any order to the toasts and the people giving them is completely subject to the bride and groom’s preference. Invite the individuals you would like to toast to do so well in advance so they have plenty of time to prepare.
- In formal wedding ceremonies, toasts are given immediately following the meal, before the first dance as husband and wife. This can be done either before or after the cutting of the cake.
- For less formal affairs, toasts can occur after the first dance, as the first course is served, or virtually anytime that feels right. Just be sure to have a finalized order of events, so everyone is on the same page.
Scottish Wedding Toasts
- We are delighted to be invited to the wedding. Wish you all the best for your happy Scottish wedding.
- May your married life be surrounded by divinity, peace and happiness. Both of you make a great couple.
- May your Scottish wedding ceremony symbolize peace, happiness, and love for everyone.
- May your Scottish marriage ceremony spread warmth and happiness throughout the entire world.
- May the bride and bridegroom be in a happy union and spread happiness worldwide.
- May your wedding signify good luck, love, and affection for everyone. Be blessed as a couple and enjoy a happy married life.
- I have never seen such a perfect couple like both of you. You are indeed made for each other. So, raising a toast to both of you.
- It gives us great pleasure to congratulate both of you as husband and wife.
traditional wedding toasts
- Both of you are beautiful, talented, and graceful. Wish you happy wedding life.
- Let’s raise the toast to both of you to have everlasting happy married life.
- Let the sun, moon, and stars shine on your wedding ceremony and bless you with a happy conjugal life.
- Let peace and joy fill up your married life, and never let both of you stay away from one another.
- Let us raise a toast to the priest who has performed the wedding ceremony with honor and respect and helped both of you to take your wedding vows.
- May your marriage ceremony give peace and happiness to this Earth. God bless both of you.
- We are indeed excited about being a part of the Scottish wedding and congratulating the beautiful bride and wonderful bridegroom for a happy married life.
- Let this be the perfect Scottish wedding for the great couple in the church followed by cutting the wedding cake and enjoying turkey and wine.
- It is a blessing to be a part of a Happy Scottish Wedding and get an opportunity to dine with a wonderful couple.
- We are eagerly waiting to witness the wonderful wedding ceremony and bless the couple to have everlasting married life.
- May this Scottish wedding ceremony be held with great pomp and show and make the couple exchange their wedding vows to always love and support one another in every walk of life.
- May this Scottish wedding ceremony bless both of you and help you attain eternal happiness.
Scottish Wedding Blessings
- It gives us immense pleasure to be a part of the Scottish Wedding Ceremony.
- A perfect couple made for the perfect Scottish Wedding. I wish you a Happy Scottish wedding ceremony.
- Marriage is not only about sharing the love but also exchanging responsibilities with one another. It is indeed a great Wedding Ceremony.
- Let’s dance and celebrate the wedding of the beautiful Scottish Couple.
- We do like to party at the beautiful wedding event of the beautiful couple.
- We are excited indeed to become a part of this Auspicious Wedding Ceremony of Scottish Ceremony.
- To be a part of the Scottish Wedding does a dream come true. I want to congratulate the bridegroom and bride on a happy married life.
- Wish you a Happy married life and a Happy Honeymoon.
- We wish the best for a Happy Married Life for the Scottish Couple. Let’s join for an awesome Scottish Wedding.
order of toasts at a wedding
Toasts at weddings are an important part of the festivities because they allow guests to convey their affection, thanks, and well wishes to the newlyweds. Here are some of the best messages you can deliver at the order of toasts at a wedding.
-Here’s to love, to laugh, and to live happily ever after. May the bride and groom stay together forever.
-May love and joy abound in your marriage, and may it be the beginning of many exciting new experiences for you both!
-Cheers to the newlyweds, and may the strength of their love only increase as the days pass. Happy married life!
-May the joy you both contribute to one other’s life be reflected in the happiness your marriage brings to the world.
-May you both find solace, happiness, and love in one other’s arms for the rest of your lives. Congratulations on your wedding.
toast to the groom
The groom deserves to hear kind words and appreciation on his wedding day. Congratulate the lucky man on his wedding day with the help of these amazing toasts to the groom.
-To the groom, may your marriage be blessed with love, joy, and all the happiness you deserve in the coming years.
-Cheers to the guy who has succeeded in capturing the affections of the lady who is universally regarded as being the most attractive.
-Congratulations to the lovely groom, and I sincerely hope and pray that your love will last a lifetime!
-May your love for one another continue to grow stronger with each passing day, and may your marriage be full of laughter, happiness, and joy.
-Cheers to the groom, and may he always be the reason his wife smiles and the wind in her sails.
short Irish wedding toast
Wedding toasts can be emotional, funny, or sentimental, and they are often the highlights of the reception. Here are some of the best short Irish wedding toasts to congratulate the lucky couple.
-May your love be like wine—full-bodied, robust, and flavorful—and may it only improve with age.
-May the two of you always find solace in each other’s embrace, and may the joy and love that fills your house never end.
-Here’s to a long, happy marriage full of love, laughter, and the odd glass of Guinness.
-May you always have a sufficient joy to keep you sweet, sufficient adversity to keep you strong, and sufficient love to keep you moving forward.
-Here’s to a lifetime of love and happiness, and here’s to wishing that your love for one other only continues to deepen and expand as the years go by.
great wedding toasts
Wedding toasts are always going to be the main event at the reception. The bride and groom will always remember great wedding toasts for the rest of their lives. Here are some ways you can congratulate the newlyweds on their special day.
-Cheers to a lifetime of love, laughter, and memories that will last a lifetime! I hope the two of you continue to love and support each other till the end of time.
-May the two of you find your marriage a never-ending story filled with love, happiness, and adventure. Congratulations.
-Here’s to the beginning of a wonderful trip we’re about to embark on together; may it be full of love, joy, and laughter till the end of time. May you have a lovely life together.
-May the beauty and joy that your love has brought you on this wonderful day continue filling your hearts and souls for many more years.
-May your lives be blessed with all the love, joy, and pleasure that your hearts may possibly carry in the years to come.
best wedding toasts
The best wedding toasts can make the entire reception eventful. Here are some ways you can deliver your speech to entertain the crowd and make the newlyweds smile widely.
-Let us all raise our glasses to congratulate this lovely couple who the gracious Lord has unified in holy matrimony.
-It is my pleasure that I have attended the loveliest wedding ever. I hope that the two of you always love and support one another through hardships and sorrows.
-The two of you are indeed a match in heaven. The Gods above brought you closer since you are such a perfect match for one another.
-The two of you are the real epitome of what true love looks like. I hope you have a wonderful married life ahead.
-Cheers on your wedding! It is our pleasure that we could watch the two of you unite and pledge to be with each other forever.
Irish wedding toast to bride and groom
Weddings provide an occasion for the couple’s loved ones and friends to meet together and rejoice in their coming together as man and wife. We have collected some of the best Irish wedding toasts for bride and groom for you.
-May the pleasures that come your way be as bright as the sunrise and the tragedies that come your way be mere shadows that vanish in the brightness of love.
-May the years ahead bring you all the joy and love your hearts may contain. Congratulations on your wedding!
-May the winds of fortune sail you, the sun smile warmly upon your face, and the rains fall softly upon your crops.
-May the road rise to meet you, and may the wind always be at your back. Here’s to a long and happy marriage.
-I pray that you all continue to walk with a song in your hearts, a bounce in your stride, and a grin on your face.
- Rehearsal Dinner Invite: 101+ Wording Ideas for the Big Night
- Anniversary Wishes For Boss: 201+ Messages to share
- Thank You Wedding Guests: 222+ Messages Ideas to Share
- Wedding Anniversary Wishes for Husband: 253+ Ideas to Write
- 227+ Best Wedding Announcement Wording Examples
Mark K. Stafford is an American English writer. He was born in Los Angeles and earned a BA from the University of California. He is a passionate author who wrote on Essays, Poetry, and Journalism. Now he writes full-time books and articles for TheWordyBoy.